Monday, July 9, 2012

Exercising and I Didn't Even Know It

Well, that's not entirely true.  My muscles were very aware of what I was doing all weekend, but the fun outweighed the pain.

I spent this past weekend in the Pocono Mountains in Pennsylvania.  Every Fourth of July my family heads over for some rest and adventure.  Saturday we went hiking at Bushkill Falls: one of my favorite places in the country!  The trails are great, the views are beautiful, and you don't have to be in tip top shape to do it all, so it's great for a family of mixed adventurers.  Two hours hiking in the 100 degree weather, was pretty difficult, but totally worth it.  I'll have to post up my pictures once they're loaded on  my computer.

On Sunday, my dad, brother, and I went kayaking down the Delaware River.  My dad and I (while riding tandem) actually got stuck about half-way through our ride due to insufficient water levels, but we made it out and back on our way with minimal effort.  We rowed 6 miles in about 2 hours.

Livestrong says: "According to the American Council on Exercise, a 125-lb. person burns 283 calories per hour of kayaking..."  Burning 566 calories doing something I love is okay by me!  That's my big exercise secret.  I don't go to the gym.  I play.  I have fun.  I roller blade with friends, go swimming with my dad, go for walks.  It's not something I have to do.  It's something I want to do and that makes all the difference.


I'm a dancer, a yogi, a swimmer, a kayaker, a hiker, a half-marathon hopeful, and, happily, healthy.  What are you?

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/306460-calories-burned-per-hour-of-kayaking/#ixzz20BYs6Xsr

No comments:

Post a Comment