Friday, May 18, 2012

Fake Out Friday: Pi

Instead of being a good little blogger and writing Part Four of my "Skinny on Obesity" series, I decided to watch the movie Pi, which got me thinking about pie.  Then I started thinking about the science of our world and things just got nerdy from there.

What is baking?
Baking is applied mathematics (in the form of ratios) and chemistry (as recipes depend on the chemical properties of their ingredients and how they will interact).  Physics comes in the form of thermodynamics and biology in the nutritive qualities of the food produced.

So not only am I a poor baker, but a hack scientist as well.

Dissatisfied with dissecting only one of my hobbies, I decided to break them all down.  Dancing? Physics and anatomy.  Music?  Physics and mathematics.  Writing?  Well, here I'm stuck.  What is the science of prose?  Is there a mathematical formula to generate great writing?  It has anthropological significance and deals in psychology, but what is writing?  What is the very act of thinking?  Can it be explained?  Calling a writer's work "formulaic" is an insult, so is writing beyond science?

I don't know.  I hope you've noticed philosophy was not among my listed hobbies.

No comments:

Post a Comment