Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Food Crutches

I will be posting recipes soon (promise!), but I just wanted to address something that I've been thinking about a lot lately.

I can't remember a time where I haven't been indirectly on a diet thanks to one or more family members trying to lose weight.  Through my years of watching people try and fail at diets, I've learned one thing in particular.  It is so absolutely essential to be honest with yourself.  Food can enhance your mood and it's so easy to keep eating those "good mood foods" and self-medicate, but it comes at a price.  You have to step back and really look at what you're eating.  What is your food crutch?  For me, it's chocolate.

Chocolate has been shown to increase serotonin (or happiness) levels.  When I'm stressed at work and pulling out my hair, you better bet that lunch doesn't feel like a meal until I've had some chocolate.  But I recognize that and have made efforts to reduce my chocolate (and sugar) intake.  I've seen diabetes.  There's no amount of chocolate, however pure or delicious, that's worth the risk.

So what's eating you?

No comments:

Post a Comment