Thursday, June 28, 2012

Waste Not, Want Not

I've been thinking about my Grandpa a lot lately.  He died May 24th, 2010 and was my very first cooking buddy.  It was the Extreme Couponing that brought on the nostalgia.  Born in 1925, my grandfather soldiered through the Great Depression.  He sold fruits and vegetables on the streets in Brooklyn as a little boy and, needless to say, was the first to tell me I couldn't leave the table until my plate was clean.  He didn't waste anything.  Everything was used until there was nothing left.  That went for clothing, technology, or even sauce on your plate.


Now, as an adult, I look at my life and can't help but think he would be ashamed of me.  I take everything I have for granted. I go grocery shopping and then decide I don't like anything I bought, so I buy more (and waste more).  Reducing what I use is good for me, but doesn't help all the guilt-inducing thoughts: the have-nots that are all too prevalent in our country now.  I'd really like to start a food donation box in my apartment building, but have no idea where to begin.


Any thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment