Saturday, March 24, 2012

Out on the Town: Mercer Kitchen

My birthday dinner was at the Mercer Kitchen.  Tucked into a cozy retail boulevard, Jean George's Mercer Kitchen is a gem.  The almost-industrial ambience is complimented by a warm candlelight (which might be a tad dark for some patrons). 

The most striking note I have on the menu is its diversity.  Beef was the only meat used twice on the fairly wide selection.  Salmon, scallops, lobster, chicken, pork -- there's something for every taste here.  I treated myself to one of the most amazing burgers I've ever had.  "(The Mercer) Burger -- pepperjack cheese, avocado, crunchy red onions, Russian Dressing, and french fries"  This hamburger was moist, seasoned impeccably and served at the perfect temperature.  The bun, on the other hand, became slightly soggy before I could get halfway through and the fries, though crispy, were a bit too salty.  Style points were awarded for serving them in a flower pot.

To drink I had their Rhubarb Cosmopolitan.  Cosmos are one of my favorite cocktails.  Give me any sort of fruity vodka and I'm a happy camper, but this is actually the best cosmo concoction I've ever had.  Generally cosmos are made from mixing vodka, triple sec, cranberry juice, and some taste of citrus.  Adding rhubarb sweetens the acidic kick of a regular cosmo, making the drink smoother.

I had a great time (and a great birthday).  Thank you to the outstanding staff at the Mercer Kitchen and my dining companion for making it a great night!

No comments:

Post a Comment