Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The Scaredy Cat Cooks: Very Berry Chocolate Cake


I had a request for a chocolate cake with fruity frosting, which was perfect since I had a box of cake mix I had been dying to get rid of for a while. (Not a big mix-user.)

I decided on a strawberry filling, raspberry frosting, and topped it all off with some fresh strawberries.  The result was a sweet, fruity treat.

I used Giada de Laurentiis' recipe for Strawberry Frosting, but I changed it up.  Instead of strawberry, I used seedless raspberry preserve.  I also used 3 1/2 cups of powdered sugar, rather than the full 4, which means my frosting was a little runnier than it should have been, but I can't imagine making it even sweeter.  As a note: it's probably not a great idea to frost a cake when you're exhausted.  This is more a rainy Saturday project than a Monday night plan, but I can't tell you how yummy the result was!

The cake wasn't as moist as I would have liked it.  I'll post my own chocolate cake recipe later (promises, promises), but a good gooey chocolate cake with strawberry preserve slathered in the middle and raspberry frosting on top is, as my taste tester said, "out of this world."

To cut down on calories and fat, keep an open mind on the cake design.  I specifically got the organic strawberry preserve with the least amount of sugar I could.  Instead of whipping up raspberry buttercream (pictured above), feel free to simply top your cake with fruit preserve.  It's just as sweet and delicious, with a little less guilt.  It doesn't look too bad either!  Spread on the preserve and dress with fresh fruits.  Darn, I wish I had done that!

No comments:

Post a Comment