Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The Scaredy Cat Cooks: Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

Alright, it doesn't sound very brave, but I'll have you know there was a 50/50 chance these cookies would have been a pan full of mush.  I had no confidence in this recipe as it was going into the oven and I'm just happy they came out in cookie form.

This recipe is a mix of a regular oatmeal raisin cookie recipe and a vegan one I've used.  The vegan one uses banana instead of the egg, but I never particularly cared for the interaction of the apple and banana.  I think it minimized the oatmeal and raisins which are supposed to be the stars of the show.  This "half vegan" recipe cuts out a lot of the fats while maintaining the oatmeal taste.  I think it could have stood at least 1/4 cup light brown sugar so if you're feeling brave, try that out.  If not, these are yummy little, almost-guilt-free cookies.

Just a warning: I got a different type of oat than I normally use and the cookies turned out crunchy.  I'm not sure if it's from the oat itself or they just needed to soak a little more.  The original recipe called for the batter to soak for 4 hours or overnight so maybe I should have actually, y'know...done that.  Again, if you're feeling brave, give it a try and send pics.  I'll post your results here!

Ingredients
1 1/4 cup rolled oats
1 cup flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup applesauce
3/4 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup raisins

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit.  Combine oats, flour, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.  Mix applesauce, sugar, egg, and vanilla in a large bowl.  Stir dry mixture into wet mixture.  Add raisins.

Using a spoon, drop cookies onto a cookie sheet (I didn't have to grease mine, but you can line yours so there is minimal clean up).   Bake for 15 minutes or until brown. *

*Note: the version I made didn't turn out too brown.  The bottoms certainly were though.

Better pictures to come once my camera stops being a jerk!

No comments:

Post a Comment