Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Wino Wednesday: at Lillie's

For today's Wino Wednesday, I ventured over to Lillie's Victorian Establishment in Times Square.  The place was packed with Happy Hour-goers, but I was able to carry on a conversation with my friend while we slowly sipped our wines and enjoyed the ambience.  The Victorian theme is conveyed to its fullest extent from the ample busts displayed all around to the be-cherubed ceilings down to the delicately decorated floral china pattern on every plate.  I was only there for drinks, but felt a great pang of envy as the people next to me received their mountainous order of nachos (okay, so the food doesn't really play into the Victorian theme 100%).


But enough about the atmosphere, let's talk vino!  I ordered the Dr. Loosen Riesling from Mosel, Germany and it was hands down the best wine experience I have ever had.  It was bright, easy on the palate, with a subtle sweet taste.  Absolutely delicious.  I will definitely be looking for a bottle to keep at home.  My friend had the Langtry Estate Cabernet Sauvignon and we were both less than thrilled with it.  It had an almost ostentatious acidic aroma that made me actually pause when putting the glass to my lips and say, "I'm not sure I want to try this."  Then, nothing.  The wine was DOA.  A bit upsetting, but at least I had the Riesling to drink for the rest of the night.  Try the Riesling.  You will not regret it!

Thank you to Lillie's for creating such a great place to drink and relax and to my friend for keeping me company through my many slightly inebriated giggle fits.

No comments:

Post a Comment